Some of the most important components of your roofing system are actually hidden from view. The underlayment is a prime example. Located between the asphalt shingles and the roof decking, the underlayment is responsible for protecting your home from possible water infiltration. But sandwiched as it is between two other roofing components, the underlayment can still be damaged. And if too much time passes before the damage is addressed, it can actually fail.
A trusted shingle and solar roofing company in the area, LePage and Sons Roofing LLC, shares what homeowners should know about roof underlayment failure.
What Exactly Is the Roof Underlayment?
The roof underlayment refers to a thin waterproof material between the roof shingles and deck. It’s commonly made of either asphalt-saturated felt, rubberized asphalt, or non-bitumen synthetic. While it is never directly exposed to the weather, it serves as a secondary barrier against moisture or water from wind-driven rain.
Aside from its water-resisting ability, the underlayment also facilitates roof installation and helps expel heat and moisture from the attic. For such a thin and seemingly insubstantial material, the underlayment plays a huge role in maintaining the service life and weather performance of your roofing system–up until it sustains damage, that is.
What Happens When the Underlayment Fails?
Plenty of things, it turns out, and none of them good. Underlayment failure, in fact, usually results in roof replacement since repair work will have become impractical at that point. To detail, here are the common hazards involved with a failing roof underlayment:
- Structural Problems. The underlayment is designed to stay dry and thin to prevent unnecessary strain on the roof structure and your home’s foundation. But when it’s compromised, it adds substantial weight to the framing and can also increase the risk of mold and rot developing on the structure.
- Health Risks. As the underlayment loses its waterproofing ability, it may allow water to leak into your roof. Constant exposure to water can make the decking and rafters–which are generally made of wood or wood composites–susceptible to mold growth. This doesn’t just weaken the entire roof structure, but it can also leave you vulnerable to health issues associated with mold exposure. Mold is difficult to get rid of, which is why roof replacement is the usually recommended solution when the underlayment has failed.
What Causes Roof Underlayment Failure?
When the roofing system is old, it’s highly possible that water will be able to bypass the cracked and curling asphalt shingles and find its way into the underlayment, compromising it. But old age is not always the culprit for underlayment failure. Other causes include:
- Low-Quality Material. If the underlayment is made of a subpar material, then it’s only a matter of time before it fails. But the good news is that most roofing manufacturers offer underlayment options that suit different needs, and ensure that they’ll be compatible with their other products. If you turn to LePage and Sons Roofing LLC, we can help you choose an excellent underlayment for your GAF roofing system. These include Shingle-Mate®, which is fiberglass-reinforced, and Deck-Armor®, which uses premium breathable synthetic.
- Incorrect Installation. Any product, no matter how high-quality or expensive, is only as good as the quality of the installation. This is especially true for the roof underlayment. When improperly installed, it will never reach its expected lifespan, instead leaving your roof and home vulnerable to water damage. That’s why it’s always a good idea to work with a roofing company who can provide the unrivaled workmanship and effective solution your roofing system deserves.
How Do You Prevent Underlayment Failure?
You can keep your underlayment–and the rest of your roofing system–in good shape by having it checked periodically by a reliable roofing professional. Schedule a comprehensive roof inspection at least once a year, or following a major weather event. This allows you to stay ahead of any developing roof issues, ensuring they’ll be dealt with immediately before they can affect the underlayment. In cases of failure, a complete roof replacement is typically recommended to avoid further damage and high restoration costs. But this project isn’t something an untrained homeowner can DIY over the weekend.
Where to Go for Quality Roof Replacement
If you want to get the best results, you’ll need to turn to a premier residential roofer like LePage and Sons Roofing LLC. We’re not just your expert in emergency roof repair–we’re also your top choice for smooth and worry-free roof replacement services in Southeastern Massachusetts. Work with us and you can expect that:
- You’ll be working with a qualified roofing contractor. LePage and Sons Roofing LLC is fully licensed, bonded and insured for your greater protection. The significant workers’ compensation and liability coverage we carry also ensure you won’t be held accountable on the off chance that something goes awry in your property during the roof replacement.
- Your roof replacement project will be up to code. Before taking on any roofing project, LePage and Sons Roofing LLC makes sure that all the necessary requirements, including building permits, are in place. We are familiar with the codes and regulations specific to this area, allowing for workmanship that ensures your safety and protection.
- You’ll be hiring an experienced roofer. LePage and Sons Roofing LLC has served the New Bedford, MA, area for over 15 years. Whether you need emergency roof repair or replacement, or solar roofing installation, you’re sure that your project will always be completed to more-than-satisfactory results. Combining superior workmanship and customer-first service–this is the reason we remain the go-to residential roofer in Southeastern Massachusetts.
- You’ll get access to excellent roofing options. At LePage and Sons Roofing LLC, we take pride in the fact that we are a GAF® Certified Master Elite® roofing contractor. We offer some of the toughest and most versatile asphalt shingle roofing systems available today. Check out our GAF Lifetime Roofing System, which is made up of all the crucial components–including the underlayment–that ensures your home will stay safe and damage-free from inclement weather all year round.
Request a Roofing Quote Today
LePage and Sons Roofing LLC is the asphalt shingle and solar roofing company you can count on for the highest quality service. When your roof underlayment has been compromised, just turn to us for the more effective, more permanent solution. We proudly serve New Bedford and other areas in Southeastern Massachusetts. Call us today at (508) 295-6483 or fill out this contact form to schedule your roof evaluation. We look forward to hearing from you!