Roofing is no simple task, as it requires a skilled contractor to deliver quality results, whether it be for routine maintenance, emergency roof repair, or a complete roof replacement. When hiring a roofing contractor, there are essential attributes and capabilities they should possess to ensure they’re up to the job. Here’s a look at seven of them:
- Adequate Insurance and Licensing. Roofing is inherently dangerous, which is why legitimate roofing contractors need to have the proper insurance and licenses in place. These documents not only protect the contractor’s employees in case of an accident but also safeguard homeowners from potential liabilities. Verifying that a roofing contractor is fully licensed and insured for the scope of work is non-negotiable.
- Extensive Experience and a Solid Reputation. The longevity of a company often speaks to its experience and quality of work. Roofing contractors should have a significant track record of installations and satisfied customers. Before committing, check out the contractor’s online presence for reviews or ask for references.
- A Comprehensive Portfolio. When choosing a roofing contractor, especially for complex jobs like solar roofing installations, it’s essential to evaluate their past work. A robust portfolio showcasing a range of projects — from traditional roof repairs to modern solar integrations — provides insight into their craftsmanship and expertise.
- Clear, Written Estimates and Financing Options. The financial aspect of roofing projects cannot be overlooked. Trustworthy contractors will provide comprehensive estimates in writing, detailing the costs for materials and labor. They should also offer various financing options that can cater to different budgetary needs. Good contractors understand that transparency about costs and payments is paramount and will take the time to explain financing agreements carefully.
- Assurance in the Face of the Unexpected. Even with meticulous planning, unexpected repairs can arise once the work begins. Your contractor must outline how they handle such unforeseen issues — will there be additional charges, how much could they be, and who decides what is done? Clarity in this area can save a lot of headaches later, especially with major procedures like roof replacement.
- Warranty and Problem Resolution. A contractor’s warranty is a pledge of confidence in their workmanship. Additionally, their process for addressing any dissatisfaction with completed jobs can indicate their commitment to customer service. Homeowners should seek out roofing contractors who stand firmly behind their work and maintain a responsive channel for handling any issues post-installation.
- A Commitment to Comprehensive Service. Some contractors may choose to overlay new shingles onto an old roof, but the best practice is always a complete tear-off and inspection before a new roof installation. This ensures any hidden issues are addressed, maintaining the integrity of the roofing system. The same goes for emergency roof repairs; a thorough approach should always be taken.
You don’t have to look far for a roofer who possesses these attributes. For over 15 years, the roofing professionals at LePage and Sons Roofing LLC have delivered comprehensive roofing services to residential and commercial clients in southeastern Massachusetts. As a full-service roofing company, ensuring our customers’ satisfaction and the long-term performance of their roofs is our mission.